This Recipe comes from our friend Kellie Davis over at Mother Fitness. When we saw that she had a Less Evil version of Chicken Souvlaki, we couldn’t resist sharing it with our fans.
Certain meals take time, but are so worth the effort. This is one of them. Mediterranean food is always a hit in our house and one of my favorite things to make.
These recipes are great for family dinners or to make as party food.
This meal makes about 8 servings.
- 2-pounds chicken breast, cubed
- 1-cup Annie’s balsamic vinaigrette (can sub other brands, but this is my favorite)
- 2 whole lemons, juiced
- 2-tablepsoons fresh oregano, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Mix ingredients in a large plastic bag or bowl. Place chicken cubes in marinade and refrigerate 2-24 hours. The longer the better.
- Preheat outdoor grill on high heat.
- Place chicken on to skewers. Discard remaining marinade.
- Place chicken skewers onto grill and cook until juices run clear (16-20 minutes total). Turn chicken every 4 minutes for even cooking.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- 1 serving (4 ounces):
- 363 calories
- 54 grams protein
- 4 grams carbs
- 12 grams fat
- 3.5 grams sugar
Olive and Feta Relish
- 2 fresh red bell peppers, cut in half and seeded
- 3/4-cup Kalamata olives
- 1-cup green olives
- 10-ounces feta cheese, cubed
- ½-cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 fresh lemons, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2-tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1-teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven broiler. Brush bell pepper halves with olive oil.
- Arrange skin side up on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Place on highest rack in oven, leaving the door cracked.
- Watch carefully as not to burn too badly.
- When tops begin to blacken, remove from heat and place peppers on a cool surface.
- Let peppers cool for 15-20 minutes, and then gently remove skin.
- Slice peppers into thin strips and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, and oregano.
- Add olives, peppers, garlic, and feta.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1 serving:
- 282 calories
- 8 grams protein
- 8 grams carbs
- 25 grams fat
- 1.5 grams sugar
Pinto Bean and Jalapeño Hummus
- 1-can Eden organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 1/2 – tablespoons Tahini
- ½ fresh jalapeño, seeded
- ¼-teaspoon cumin
- ¼- teaspoon chili powder
- ½- teaspoon sea salt
- 1-tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Set aside 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Place all ingredients except olive oil in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, slowly adding in olive oil to make a creamy texture.
- Garnish with olive oil.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1 serving:
- 90 calories
- 3.5 grams protein
- 10 grams carbs
- 4 grams fat
- 0 grams sugar
Serve meal with a side of warm Middle Eastern flat bread. Heat flat grill and brush bread with olive oil. Cook on one side until it puffs up, then flip and cook for 2-3 more minutes. I also grilled tomatoes with my chicken. Delicious!