Chocolate Sea Salted Popcorn Cupcakes
Calling all chocolate lovers! These classic vegan chocolate cupcakes are fluffy, mega-chocolatey, and topped with the smoothest, silkiest vegan chocolate buttercream. Topped with our Dark Chocolate + Himalayan Pink Salt Popcorn, you get the perfect mix of salty and sweet.
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of crushed LesserEvil Dark Chocolate + Himalayan Pink Salt Popcorn
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tsp. ground flaxseeds
- 5 tbsp warm water
- ½ cup milk (regular or vegan)
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM INGREDIENTS:
- ¾ cup butter (regular or vegan), softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½-2¾ cup powdered sugar SEE NOTES
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½-1 tablespoon milk (regular or vegan), if needed* SEE NOTES
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 liners. Line a second one with 3 more and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ground flaxseeds and warm water and set aside for 5 min to form a vegan “egg”.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground popcorn, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and granulated sugar. Wicks in flaxseed egg, vanilla extract, and then add milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until they are just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each ⅔ full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave them in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter and vegetable shortening together.
- Add in the powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time. Start with 21/2 cups, then add in the cocoa powder. If the buttercream is too thin, you can add in more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add in ½ tablespoon of milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and use a large tip to frost each cupcake. Top with more LesserEvil Dark Chocolate Popcorn & Himalayan Pink Salt. Enjoy!